Thursday, July 23, 2009

Coconuts for Sale





Coconuts grow abundantly here. By law, property owners have to keep the trees trimmed so that one of these (look at the bundles above) won't fall on anyone's head. This afternoon the landscapers cut down about 20 coconuts from the palms around our complex and Noah and Ricardo got $$$ signs in their eyes. The first day they sat in the parking lot and sold to people as they came home from work. They made $3 selling the coconuts for $1 each. The next morning they woke up determined to sell more. They set their table up on the main road hoping to get more customers. I have to say I wasn't very optimistic about the prospects of them making any money. But I wanted to be supportive so I helped them make a sign and left them on the corner. They sat there for 4 hours, in the heat, yelling, "Coconuts for sale, $1.00" over and over again. At noon I went to check on them but they weren't at their table. I came back to ask Terry if she knew where they were. She didn't know but said she would go look for them. Fifteen minutes later she returned and said she found them at the CVS check out counter. Ricardo was buying a basketball toy. Noah had a giant bag of Cheetos in his hands. They had made $14 and split it 50/50. I think we have some businessmen in the making.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I hope the CVS was just around the corner & that they didn't have to cross a busy road. Funny story though! Sounds like Noah has made a new best friend. I saw the pictures of the new place, cute! Looks like all of you are having a great time in Miami. Keep in touch.

Jessica

Anonymous said...

I guess they are very talented in selling!!! :) next time we have to do the lemonade! they are having the best time together! i am happy for them! loved the pictures!

Jenny P. said...

That is totally hilarious and such a boy thing to do.

I'm loving the frequent updates dear friend. :)

Alice said...

David told us all about this. I was dying!

Anonymous said...

I will like to buy some coconuts, can you post your phone # to call?
Thanks