Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Portoviejo Day 3

We started today at the foundation watching David teach the other ophthalmologist. I am so impressed with how well he can speak medical Spanish. I really did not know he could speak Spanish so well. I guess he learned some things during his 2 years in Miami.

Today we did tourist things. We visited the city of Monticristi where there is a museum dedicated to the revolutionario Eloy Alfaro Delgado. We learned a lot of history, visited his tomb, and met with the head of the museum. I bought souvenirs for the kids--bracelets, tiny baskets, wood animals. Monticristi is where Panama hats are made so I bought one. The city of Monticristi is about to have a festival so merchants are coming from all over and setting up tents in the streets. It was like a big fair but down the streets of this very old town.

Ate the most delicious fish.

Delivered wheelchairs to the foundation.

Tonight we had a wonderful dinner at Yolandas house. She has a beautiful home with mango and banana trees right in the middle of town. I met her son, his wife, their daughter, and her pet chicken, Angie who sleeps inside the house. There was a pianist, a waiter, and a cook all at her house. We sat outside for an houring talking, then moved inside for another hour talking, waiting for David to finish the laser. About nine oclock we started dinner. During the prayer there was an earthquake for about a minute, kind of scary. Ate a 3 course meal--delicious!

Another nice day. Yolanda is an amazing woman. I will write more about her work later but right now I am so tired and we are meeting at 7:30 to tour more of the province.

Buenas noches.

1 comment:

Out and About Mom - Mandy said...

Hey Jen! Sorry I haven't called you back. It has been a crazy two weeks around here. We had a snowstorm, lost power for over a week, Cara got married, and Caitlin had her baby. Whew! Sounds like things are pretty busy with you too. Call me when you get back from traveling.