Thursday, August 4, 2011

Arrived in the Magic City

Sunset from our kitchen window


Georgia being oh so cute


Georgia stands


Found old Halloween costumes


Georgia crawls



JuJu repelling down the Y rockwall


JuJu's first climb


The amazing wall



Downstairs living room/playroom




Garage cubbies--oh how I love these!




Finally.
We are here.
In our cute little town of Minot.
Honestly I don't think we could have handpicked a more completely opposite place than Miami.
We are loving our new home and I am particularly loving the space.
So just as I noticed in my 2 short visits before --the people here are SO NICE!
Really its hard to explain until you experience but everyone is really nice. It feels a little like Leave it to Beaver where everyone is smiling and trusting and just happy to be alive.

Few examples:



Upon arriving we were welcomed by several people from the eye clinic with balloons, and a huge basket of treats



Our mailwoman brought by the mail key that I was supposed to go pick up from the office but she dropped it by so I wouldn't have to go down there.

Bonnie,our builders wife, who is a wonderful sweet grandma herself, watched all 4 of our kids while we closed on the house. Then I asked about lakes to visit in the area and she sent me a list of 5 different lakes with info numbers attached.



Our neighbors brought our trashcan in because it looked like it was about to storm.



Drivers are polite and courteous. They let you over when your blinker is on and everyone takes turns nicely at all the 4 way stops.



The ladies at the YMCA childcare are wonderful--nice, sweet, hold the babies, play with the kids, always smiling.



Men everywhere hold the door open for you. (I don't think this happened once while I lived in Miami.)




Got my new driver's license in less than 10 minutes from a really nice, helpful, happy govenment employee. Yes they exist and all 10 of them work at the Minot DMV. Everyone in the office was smiling and laughing.




Walmart cashiers chat like you are the only person in line--really. Its kind of weird. There is huge line and they take their time and no one is annoyed-- just waiting patiently.




Called the elementary school to find out what I needed to bring to register the kids for school. Did I need to bring proof of address that we lived in the area for the school? "No, we trust you." Almost dropped the phone on that one.




So the list could go on but I'm getting tired.




One thing that I didn't notice when I was here in January and then again in April(perhaps because of the winter clothes) were all the tatoos. Seriously I have seen more tatoos in the last 3 weeks than I have my whole life. Did I miss something while I was in Miami? Have tatoos become really popular? Or is this just signature Minot? Everyone and their grandma has tatoos, literally.




Anyway, we are excited about our new home and a new adventure.


5 comments:

Melissa said...

Finally...I love the pics! It's good to see that you are getting settled in and having a good time. We love you guys!

Emma and Dan said...

Yay! I've been checking for an update. Your house looks wonderful and roomy (what a change). I'd love to see more pictures when you have time. :) I hope that unpacking is going well. I'm so glad that you love it there. What is the time line? - how long do you think you'll be there?

There are A LOT of tattoos in Virginia Beach too. I think it's because of the whole beach bum mentality. I'm really surprised that they are super common in Minot!

Alice said...

Sounds like a cute place. We'll have to come visit sometime. Um...your downstairs room is bigger than our entire house! And less then 10 mins at the DMV....JEALOUS!

Alice said...

Oh ya, on the tattoo thingie, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em http://www.tattoofun.com/index.html

Jen I said...

Georgia looks so stinking cute! Oh...I am so jealous. My jaw dropped even just reading about the niceties! 10 minutes at the DMV?? You've got to be kidding me. We spent an hour in the sun standing in line just to pick up school uniforms - and all the ladies in line were hollering at everyone - and there was SECURITY on site to control the mayhem. I kept thinking this would never happen anywhere else - including all the uniforms not being ready until Sunday - the DAY BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED. Seriously, you're not missing anything. :)