Friday, May 6, 2011

When it Rains it Floods













So it doesn't rain much here on the island.

After 2 years of living here I have learned that the weather predictions are usually wrong. The storms seem to pass over the island and head to the mainland.

However when it does rain the island floods.

Our parking lot becomes a swimming pool.

Pictured above is the area surrounding the school.


Because I didn't think my golf cart could handle 2 feet of water- my kind friend drove me to pick EJ up. However she got nervous that the water might ruin her car so we parked it in someone's driveway, left a note, and began a 4 block trek through the water with 5 children in tote. It was quite the adventure.


In classic Miami style no one offered a ride or asked if we might need help.


Imagine my friend who is 8 months pregnant carrying Georgia, I was carrying JuJu and her daughter and EJ were walking along side us--it was a sight. All the kids in the school yard couldn't believe that the water was up to our knees. It really wasn't that hard but just the fact that no one asked at least to help out my pregnant friend?


Better yet, when we finally made it through the swamp we were walking along the sidewalk a man in his Mercedes stopped in the middle of an intersection to ....see if we were OK....ask if we needed a ride... of course not, he first stated that he had been a surgeon for 30 years and he just wanted to let us know that it really wasn't a good idea to let children walk on sidewalks barefoot, they could get all kinds of bacterial infections that are really hard to get rid of and once again let us know that he had seen some really bad stuff....


Really. Thanks for the FYI, next time just throw a pamphlet out the window and spray us with the rain water as you speed away.


Is that really what 2 moms with 5 children really want to hear about after what we had just waded through.


We were happy we had gotten everyone out safely to the other side. I mean if you want to lecture us at least throw open the door, let us hop in, and lecture us on the way.


And the whole no shoe thing.


I get so many bad looks from nannys as they pass by and once again JuJu has taken off her shoes or didn't have any on to begin with. "Sin zapatos" (without shoes) they scowl as if I am the worst mom in the world. Seriously how many of you ran around without shoes on outside when you were a kid and amazingly enough you have lived to tell about it.


Happy 5 months to Georgia.

Amazing that she is still alive.

She has never warn shoes.

4 comments:

Jenny P. said...

You are hilarious. My kids don't wear shoes either. And when they do wear shoes, they are normally completely inappropriate for the season. Henry wearing Crocs in twenty degree weather? Um, yeah. They're way easier to put on.

merathon said...

somehow i have the feeling that they will be doing a lot more shoe (and 3 pairs of socks) wearing in ND!

Jen I said...

Laughing so hard. You know me and my love for this culture that can't keep their parenting opinions to themselves. And seriously Mercedes man?? UGH!!!! Betcha someone in Minot would stop and help. :)

ctengia said...

Jenny...why have I gone I 4 1/2 months into motherhood without calling you for a sanity check? Your perspective makes me laugh out loud and realize my worrying over the tiniest things is insane. :) Love you and your barefoot children!