Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hogar Mercedes de Jesus DR-Day 5

Today I visited a Catholic orphanage and school.
It is run by 3 sweet nuns who have dedicated their lives to providing a nice home, education, and upbringing to these children who have been abondoned.  It was clean, orderly, decorated, full of books and supplies.  The children were calm and happy.  I was able to spend a couple of  hours here reading to the children, playing Bingo, and eating lunch.  All the childrens beds were made, the rooms were picked up, they had 2 cute chihuahuas running around, the children were sitting nicely at their desks. At lunch they all ate together.  They wait for everyone to arrive, bless the food, and then sit and eat nicely all together.  I was amazed that all 25 children sat for 30 minutes eating, talking quietly.  The nuns sat at their own table.  The older children helped the younger children.  It was awesome to see how love and discipline can make such a nice environment.

Taking notes for the wild ones back home....


 Front of the home and school

 Even the dogs were well behaved.  Seriously these nuns are amazing.

 Beds made.

 Stuff animals in place

 Sitting nicely at school

 Happy
 Happy children!

 These were the 2 little girls I spent the most time with.
They were in their beds sick, but not really too sick.
We read a bunch of books and I had to apologize for my terrible Spanish accent.
They didn't seem to mind.
We played Bingo and then had a little photo session.
They loved taking pictures and seeing themselves.
We had to redo Emily's hair after she saw the first picture because she didn't like how it looked.




 Here are the kids at lunch.

 The nuns told me that these to children fall asleep everyday during lunch.
They said it was the meat that makes them tired.
I went to go hold the little boy because he was crying and waking up a bit.
I asked the nun if she wanted me to go put him in his bed.
She said no.  They always play a little after they eat then go down for their siesta.
She stood him up, he opened his eyes, and seriously ran outside to play.
I have never seen a child rally so quickly.
They were so cute.






This is the mama chihuahua--Susi
She has a funny back leg. The way she walks it looks like it is broken.
She recently gave birth and her baby has a funny leg.
They are so cute limping around together.

3 comments:

Genean said...

I LOVE the two boys who fell asleep at the table.

Three Umbrellas said...

SO COOL JENNY!!! That is so awesome, I love the line "even the dogs were well behaved!"

Anonymous said...

can you tell me who I can contact to volunteer and donate there me and my friends are going there and want to do something.
princess123182@msn.com