Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hardy North Dakotians

When I told people I was moving to ND most gave me a look of complete disbelief.
Why would anyone in their right mind move to ND.
I must admit before visiting last January for the first time I had a hard time imagining how people lived here. I thought perhaps we would stay in doors all the time curled around the fire and never leave the house. I was happily surprised to see how active the people are here. Life continues as usual during the winter months--just with added clothing. I thought some of my family and friends in warmer climates would appreciate this memo I got from the kids school:

"Now that snow has arrived, please send your child to school with a warm coat, mittens, cap, snow boots, etc...We go outside two times a day unless the temperature is -5 F or colder or the windchill is -15 F or colder."

So just know if you here that the weather is -4 or higher in Minot, little 34 pound Ella Joy will be outside at recess.

Happy Birthday Pat!!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I have a feeling little EJ is going to opt to stay curled up by the heater in the classroom (just like that pic you posted) during these recess hours. Don't let my lil string bean freeze!!

Jen I said...

Shut up!!!

You're going to have sturdy kids, that's what. Cold climates produce more industrious people. Or something. Like not lazy people. It's a fact. They have to work harder for survival. Think how tough your kids are going to be!! Seriously, we're so weak in Miami! Coats when it's 70 degrees!

Lauren Swan said...

I can't even imagine that!!!!