Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Service

A good friend of mine is a teacher for Teach for America. I asked her if Noah and I could come and give her class a Christmas party. She works in a struggling elementary school in downtown Miami. She was excited to have someone from the community come and celebrate the season with her class.

Together Noah and I organized food, games, music and then headed to the school to have fun. Noah was very excited to visit. He wanted to make sure the kids had a lot of fun. We started with musical chairs. They were excited to dance around to Christmas music. Next we played Christmas Bingo. They used M&M's to mark the pictures. Noah helped them find matches as I called out different Christmas items. At the end they all got to eat their M&M's which they were thrilled about. We finished with a snack of cookies, crackers, and juice. Noah helped pass out the food and pour drinks.

The children were so cute! They were happy to have visitors. Many of them gave us hugs before leaving.

Noah asked my friend if we could come back again.

"I want to go back and give them another party in January."

"Maybe a Valentine party in Febraury," I suggested.

"I need to get their names so I can bring Valentine's."

Great idea.

I think he is catching the JOY that comes from serving others and what this season is all about.

Unfortunately I left the battery to my camera at home and my phone wouldn't upload to the computer so no pictures.

2 comments:

Jen I said...

Sweet. If we stay here a few more years maybe that will be Cash's poor struggling downtown school he can come help!

Lauren Swan said...

awesome jenny! you are such a good mom.