Saturday, December 19, 2009

Packing like Kids

I am loading up the van for our 12 hour drive to Columbia.
It's going to be a great day!...I keep telling myself.
It has been a 3 day process of cleaning, organizing, making lists of things to remember: clothes, Church clothes, Christmas clothes, shoes, diapers, wipes, medicine, camera, chargers for phone, IPOD, computer, camera, keys for neighbors, food for the car, toys for the care, movies for the car, and on and on
Why do we make life so complicated?

Noah packed his bag in less than 5 minutes.
What I found inside:
Most important--his entire Boy Scout uniform, "to show Papa Dean"
2 pairs of shorts
2 sleeveless shirts
10 pair of underwear
5 socks
Christmas PJ's

Ella Joy was even faster.
"Mommy I need to take my dresses."
"Ella Joy it is winter. It's cold. You have to wear warm clothes."
"I want to wear my dresses."

Walks out. Returns in less than one minute holding:

4 sundresses still on the hanger
6 pair of her new underwear
1 coat

"This will keep me cozy."
Way to solve a problem.

I wish my packing could be so simple.

2 comments:

Deena said...

It's complicated trying to remembering all of the "things' for a trip, but it's well worth it when trying to keep three kids happy and two parents sane on a 12-hour car trip.

I love what they packed. When my baby insists on a dress, we have all kinds of layers under and over it in some attempt to keep her from freezing.

Good luck on your trip. I'm bummed that we won't get to see you.

merathon said...

and that is exactly why we don't travel anywhere for christmas anymore! so much easier to stay put!

got your card-- SO cute!